Forum Thread: How to pronounce 0x10c

The first time I saw the name, 0x10c, I said to myself, "What the hell? How do I even pronounce that?". I went to the official site for 0x10c and read about the game. I discovered that the "c" is an exponent, so I figured it was a math problem.

Using the rules of math, here's how I think you pronounce it: 0 times x (x is an unknown variable) time 10 to the power of c (c is also unknown). Since it has a zero in it and it's a multiplication problem, it should also equal 0 as long as the 0 stays in the problem.

So, I like to just call the game "Zero". I find that a lot easier. Do you agree with me? Do you disagree with me? Please reply with your thoughts :)

-Egh Felnore

(Edit) Bryan Crow Quote:

"Your logic makes sense, but there is one component you're missing. The leading "0x" indicates that you're dealing with a hexadecimal number (base 16 instead of 10). As such, the hexadecimal 10 == the decimal 16. This is confirmed by the year the game takes place in, given the story on the 0x10c site (1988 + (16^12) = 281,474,976,712,644). I think the pronunciation is still up the the user, but I'd suggest it can be read as "Hextency" ("hex-ten-see")."

12 Responses

Egh,

The 0x part is a computer science convention that indicates the number is to be interpreted as hexadecimal.  In Lua, 0x10c would be

0x10 ^ 0xC

Your logic makes sense, but there is one component you're missing. The leading "0x" indicates that you're dealing with a hexadecimal number (base 16 instead of 10). As such, the hexadecimal 10 == the decimal 16. This is confirmed by the year the game takes place in, given the story on the 0x10c site (1988 + (16^12) = 281,474,976,712,644). I think the pronunciation is still up the the user, but I'd suggest it can be read as "Hextency" ("hex-ten-see").

Ack. Colin beat me to it.

My interpretation, based on somebody's Twitter guess, is that you start with "hex (ten to the C power)" which gets compressed into "hex ten to C" and further to "hextents" or "extents."

+1 for 2 syllables vs 3.

I only know basic math, and I mainly only know basics of Lua. But I believe you both. Thanks for explaining it to me :)

PS I applied for mod.

I have an idea of how it would be pronounced: 
Ever think about pronouncing zero as naught? Then pronounce "ten to the see" as a kind of "ch" sound. It would come out to resemble Notch.

Just a thought.

Game is called "one" to me.

As someone pointed out, 16^12 is the year you end up with, but it was supposed to be 0x0001 rather than 0x0001 0000 0000 0000, so if you read 16^12 as little endian then you get 1.

Oh hey, this should have been posted here as well.  Notch says it's "ten screw" although I guess he could have been trolling.

Supposedly notch has said somewhere that the 10 is key to pronounciation, but is not likely to be what people expect. Since everyone thinks of hex or standard form my friend took it a different way:

10 is a binary number

Therefore 10(binary)=2(denary)

0x2c

Or

Zero times two C

Or finally

No time to see (referencing that you may spend most of your time programming the DCPU instead)

The guessing is over. Notch says "ten to the see", but leaves it open for anyone else to pronounce it however they like.

Source: Notch's Tweet.

Share Your Thoughts